Welcome to The Johnson Family Blog

Welcome to Team Johnson's adventures! We hope to keep you up to date on our life & our adventures through this Blog. PLEASE leave a comment as we love to hear what you think! Thank you all!


Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Celebrating our Independence Day!

Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!! Yes, I know that it is now July 7th, but I didn't have a chance to spread the cheer to the country on Saturday so I'm doing it now! :)

Team Johnson (yes... that is a new phrase that I'm starting now!) packed up and loaded into the car on Friday morning for our annual trek to Sioux Falls, South Dakota to spend quality time with out extended family (Maternal side of Andrea's family). This is something that I look forward to every year since there are so many that I only get to see during this family gathering. Much preparation went into this 5 hour road trip. I hit up the dollar section at Target to get silly little trinkets to occupy our busy little kids in the car. They really do ride fairly well in the car - and can I say "I love the travel DVD player!!!!" It really helps to pass the time for the kids.

We got to Sioux Falls around 2 pm and hauled our stuff into the hotel room (thank goodness for hotel suites!). Then headed over to Grandma's house a few blocks away. We basically hung out there for most of Friday before retiring for the day back at our home away from home. Took the kids to the hotel pool, which ended up being a major let down. The pool was FREEZING - they didn't turn on the heater. Bummer. And it was to deep for Holly, so I had to get into the water to prevent her from jumping off the bottom stair and sinking to the bottom of the pool. After about 20 freezing minutes, an opportunity presented itself (not to be mentioned here) and we made a quick escape up to our room & got the kids ready for bed.

On Saturday we played and ate ALL DAY LONG at Grandma's house. It was great to catch up with family and have the annual picnic. But honestly.... it really is just 12 hours of non-stop eating. Food is every where. I haven't even weighed myself to see what the damage is. I'm hoping that by the time I do so, it will have gone away. We basically let the kids gorge themselves on junk all day. Holly ate chocolate cake and cheese balls for dinner on Saturday. What good parents we are! Myles played most of the day with his favorite cousin, Lily. I'm sure he will be talking about her for the rest of the summer! He loves that girl! I'll have to tell him someday that even though he is legally able to marry his 2nd cousin, it will be frowned upon by all. Maybe we won't have to worry about that since he did shove her down off the chair during the picnic - she may not want to marry someone who pushes her.

Saturday night was a long one at the hotel. Holly didn't sleep well, and as a result... we didn't either. Oh well. Someday she will sleep.... We went over to Grandma's on Sunday morning for a little while before hitting the road for the 5 hour trek home. We actually made good time, and got home around 3:30 pm or so. That was good timing so that we could run around and play outside for several hours to get our energy out before bed time.

It was a really good trip, and we enjoyed every minute of it! So wonderful to see everyone, and I'm already looking forward to next year!

Saturday picnic - not sure why Patrick and Nicole are smelling their hands......... what's up with that guys?


Another shot of people eating lunch

Here are Myles and Lily - they were so funny to watch, and had a good time playing. I'm so glad that they are so close in age because that makes them perfect for hanging out together during the family gatherings!

Erica and Pete after eating a yummy 4th of July picnic lunch!

My Uncle Ted had his 50th birthday, so we had to get a cake to celebrate it! And if you look closely, you will see that his shirt says "I put Ketchup on my Ketchup" and that is sooo true for this guy! The cake was very tasty, and most had a piece along with the 5 different kinds of Pie that were sliced up next to it.

Goofy Holly at lunch. She didn't eat much more than her hot dog. Maybe because by this time she had already eaten a pound of junk food....

My cousin Stacey and I - maybe I should have gotten someone to take the picture for us. Oh well - next year!

This is Erik with my cousin's husband, Jason. These two are so funny and get away with murder during these family gatherings!

My cousin William at the picnic - he brought his "friend" to the family gathering. I wonder if this friendship will result in a wedding someday...........

Myles climbing Grandma's tree

Here is the cutest picture of my kids with Great Grandma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun pictures!